Chai's Analysis

Thursday, February 16, 2006

NPR makes me SMART

The public broadcasting radio station in my area recently had a membership drive. I wanted to give but really (unfortunately) couldn't afford it. But the announcer said, "Every time you hear something interesting on public radio, it's worth at least a dime. By the end of the year you will have so many dimes, that you might as well donate now." Well, I took him up on his challenge and am going to donate 10cents in my 'Support Public Broadcasting" jar (used to contain salsa), and donate it at the end of the year.

Here are a few stories that got me thinking:

::Small businesses are LOST:: I know that this is true just from looking at my neighborhood shops that are closing down. In the world of internet, scheduling play dates for kids, and weddings two years in advance, going to a local corner shop just aint going to happen. Going to a local bookstore won't happen either. So, what can we do? I suggest supporting these shops in any way possible. Whether it's purchasing their merchandise, informing other people (via blogs!), talking to city council members about tax breaks and property issues, I think anything can help. Plus, getting to know your grocer really helps build a community.

::Need more dough, yo!:: Yeah, we all need more money. Even though Biggie warns us "Mo Money, Mo Problems, " I still want to make more money to donate, to buy sustainable clothes, greener cars, and sweatfree baby clothes for my cutie neice and BFF's son. This story tells us how to ask for a raise! RAISE up. (Hey, if it works, donate some to ME. HA.)

::Putting a price on life:: Now, this is what pisses me off with anti-choicers. They berate pro-choicers about chosing CHOICE over a innocent "person's" life. YET, I never hear conservative, religious groups going after companies who find cures to AIDS (fine, it's cause those who have it are sinful) or cancer? Why aren't they going and sending those people anthrax? Why aren't they having vigils in front of the corporate headquarters and yelling at those who go in and out of the headquarter's doors? WHY? Aren't innocent lives being hurt because of greed?

Wait, there is a freakin' cure to cancer? Yeah, that was a shock to me. Genentech, earlier this week, released reports that they have found a drug that can fight cancer. Not just fight cancer, but kick the living crap out of it. That's awesome, but guess what? Genetech wants the price tag to be $100,000/year for the drug. No, not to generic companies who buy the formula. That is what a person w/cancer must pay to use the drug. The story does a really good job (much better than me) in summarizing my feelings towards this issue.

If you don't hate corporate America and you are an anti-choicer because of innocent lives are being lost, then aren't you choosing between the two?

[Marketplace has not published the link yet because the day ain't over in other parts of this beautiful country.]

Price= $0.30

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home